How can we improve TSheets?

Manual employee GPS location request

I would like to see implemented an administrative users capability to obtain a mobile users current GPS coordinates "on command" without having to wait for the user to clock-in or clock-out or move far enough outside of an area that it transmits a location. Just a button that when selected pings the phone and retrieves a mobile users current location.

23 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • kindall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the original requester didn't mean tracking people off the clock, it just came across that way. Yes, I have employees whose ping seem suspicious at times and I would like to be able to randomly open the app, see who is working and click "ping" to find out where they are a that moment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same idea. I have no interest in tracking employees off the clock. But due to strange data I am seeing I am suspicious certain people are expoiting the system. Often i get only 2 gps logs a day when they clock in and clock out. Other individuals log 30 or more per day. The pinging would help troubleshoot if there is an issue.. though due to other unresolved exploits like mock locations its a mute point.

• R. S. L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While an employee is working you could ping, however if the employee is off the clock that would be a privacy violation. If they are carrying a company phone the company has the right to know where the phone is, but using the phone to track locations of an off duty employee could result in violations of several laws. The only practical way around it would be to call them, ask them to clock in so you can talk about a work related issue and ask them to clock out after you finish the phone call, othewise you are invading their privacy, possibly stalking and more than likely setting yourself up for a very expensive time in court.

• Rev Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be a legal violation of an employee's right to privacy. If an employee is not clocked in, they are legally able to "pursue other activities" without the interference or knowledge of the employer. Being able to track GPS coordinates for users off the clock could put a company in a litigious position. It's not up to the employer to know if an employee, off the clock, is at home, at a bar, or anywhere. This could be covered in an employee manual that the employer has the right to know where the phone is if it's a company phone. If it is a company phone, the company can put a GPS tracker app on the phone which allows the company to know where the phone is. Integrating it into Tsheets could create legal problems.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, This feature would be extremely helpful with being able to instantly locate an employee.

Feedback and Knowledge Base