How can we improve TSheets?

Auto-clock out or notify when in airplane mode and location is required

We have employees that have discovered they can switch their mobile devices into "Airplane" mode in order to bypass the GPS tracking capabilities / requirement of TSHeets while clocked in. TSheets did a great job with establishing the ability to not allow mobile users to "Clock-In" without GPS tracking enabled. This required that TSheets could detect the phone GPS setting be enabled and that the application itself not be configured to deny the ability to obtain GPS information.

While allowing the user to remain clocked in when switching into "Airplane" mode is great for travelling employees that are technically considered on the job while hopping on a plane, it also allows for deviant employees to cheat the system and not be seen going someplace other than where they are suppose to be working.

Please add in a selection option with the mobile user requirement option that will give an administrator the ability to control and mandate that the user will be clocked out automatically and/or not allowed to clock in if the phone is switched into "Airplane" mode.

15 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kelly Krummen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don't see this as a feasible approach. What if the person's phone dies but they are still working, should they be automatically clocked out then? How about hitting dead zones? Application permissions on phones, even reporting statistics such as Airplane Mode, Battery Level, are not something that is easily allowed. It also violates certain privacy rights of the phone owner, unless it is a company phone. If you don't trust your employees, and I know there are many who like to abuse the system, then maybe explain to them that if the tracking isn't turned on, they can come to the office building, use TSheets Kiosk (if you have one) to clock in. Obviously the implementation of TSheets was to make digital time tracking more convenient, but if your employees were going to lie over digital measures, they'll find other ways to lie no matter the implementation. Heck, there are a number of apps already on the market that allow you to spoof your location.

Good luck.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tested this. Its easy to do. Its quite disappointing that this can be so easily circumnavigated. We need counter measures asap. I fear this is not the only exploit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work 2 jobs. One overnight, one morning to early afternoons.
    My battery ( personal phone) is @ 62% by 8am. The "tracking function further depletes the battery. Now, I use my phone to download manuals, wiring diagrrams for work, and of course communication- so I tried turning off location- Tsheets immediately clocked me out.
    I called to explain my situation, (and as most of my work is at the shop) tracking is not needed. I was told they couldn't solve my problem.
    Yeah, they "love employees, my .....

Feedback and Knowledge Base