How can we improve TSheets?

Add the ability to map custom accounts from QuickBooks for non-billable codes with TSheets PTO codes.

As a federal contractor, we use QuickBooks for accounting, ADP for payroll, and TSheets for time tracking - all compliant with DCAA requirements. The built-in PTO option within TSheets allows me to set up nice non-billable codes for my employees to use, however when exporting the time to QuickBooks, I'm unable to map those codes to my chart of accounts in QuickBooks - they all come through as "Sales."

For example: Christmas fell on Thursday last year. If an employee took PTO on Wednesday and Friday, and Holiday on Thursday, when I run a report in QuickBooks on time, etc. it says that Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were all "Sales" - a default account that doesn't map appropriately to the accounts I have set up for each individual non-billable code (including Holiday, PTO, Jury Duty, Bereavement, LWOP...)

As a workaround, we created a customer in QuickBooks call "Overhead Charges," imported this into TSheets, forced the "billable" field to "No," and mapped all of the above-mentioned codes (PTO, Holiday, Jury Duty, Bereavement, LWOP) as service items under this "customer." Now when I export approved time to QuickBooks, the non-billable charges map to the appropriate accounts in QuickBooks.

While this workaround works, I would really like to use the built-in PTO function in TSheets in a similar way. The reasons for this are:
- Employees are not able to forward-fill non-billable time using the workaround because TSheets does not know that those codes are really not billable
- TSheets Payroll Reports no longer shows me the nice colorful bars based on PTO and billable time, since it doesn't know those codes are not billable

I would love the ability to enable TSheets integrated PTO option, define all of my custom codes, and then map each of them to a service item and get the best of all worlds... all while remaining DCAA compliant.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

13 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 years later, and this still has not been fixed? How can tsheets claim to be DCAA compliant if these basic labor distribution requirements are not met?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!

As currently configured, the PTO codes don't work all that well for me. I had already figured out the "OVERHEAD" customer workaround for non-billable labor (admin, bid & proposal), and I was hoping to avoid the same situation with PTO. But there are too many problems using the TSheets PTO process: the time-off entries cannot be marked billable or not; I cannot code the time to my accounts in QB; and the "Notes" section does not export to the QB timesheet, so I have to make manual entries in QB after the fact to be sure that my timesheet is understandable for customers who want to see timesheets submitted with each invoice.

Sadly, this workaround renders the TSheets PTO accurals features completely useless. My employees can't rely on their available balances unless I do the extra work of constantly updating the ledger every pay period, yuk!

I would love to see this addressed.

• Miriam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything that Erin said! We have been struggling with this same issue and had figured out the same work around. We're doing the same workaround for any "non-billable" labor like Overhead, G&A, and Bid and Proposal.

Feedback and Knowledge Base