How can we improve TSheets?

Ability to manage how frequently the TSheets app sends out GPS positions

We like to see very accurate details in our maps. We've come across issues where employees have clocked in/out properly but TSheets only pings their location on the map every 20 minutes or so. If there was a way to alter how frequently those GPS pings happen that would be great. Such as you would be able to set GPS pings to 1 Every 2 minutes or 1 Every 20 Minutes. I know for my company we provide all our employees with iPhones to be able to see where they are but the tracking itself sometimes can't resolve discrepancies that we have due to lack of GPS information.

87 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luis Vitureira shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My understanding is that GPS sends information every time the employee has moved 100 meters. Due to the nature of our work this can cause it to appear as if the employee has not moved all day, although he has been moving around a 2 acre property or single street.

On the other hand when the employee is driving at freeway speeds the GPS is updating sometimes twice a minute.

It would be nice to lower distance it takes to update the GPS and then put maximum and minimum time limits on the GPS. Eg. Employee has to travel 50meters for an update, but updates happen no more than once every 5 minutes. Conversely, if the employee hasn't moved more than 50 meters in 15 minutes the GPS position is automatically updated.

Agreed. Although, I wonder if users phone settings are why the GPS does not always update frequently? Data saver and other options restrict how much data some apps can use in the background unless they're on a whitelist.

@Alex, not everyone has the location via wifi, etc. option turned on.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently trying to locate an employee whose last location pull was over two hours ago. How useful is that? Come on tsheets...

• Carey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further, if the phone can get location but for some reason cannot send it in, then the next time it connects to the network it should dump the location times/points not yet successfully reported. Very often I'll see gaps of much more than 10 minutes (e.g., 20, 30, etc), which really hurts the usefulness. We are in Dallas Fort Worth, so the coverage here is excellent, and I'm not sure how to tell what the problem is. To that end, having a log on the phone that would show the specific errors such as "TIMESTAMP: could not read GPS location," etc. in a log file to help debug reporting issues. Great ideas from the other posters here as well. Thanks

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We track our employees while they are walking dogs. We want to know that the dogs are getting a good walk but currently the GPS points are too far apart to be able to clearly see where the dog was walked. It would be a great help if we could adjust the spacing of the GPS points to 5 minutes if desired. Maybe we could adjust it for each individual employee that way we could check to see how that employee was doing for a limited time period.

• billing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to locate employees and see more frequent locations. To be able to set PING time would help

• Jim Lyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would ditto Luis Vitureira's comments here. We need to receive more gps locations to help fix discrepancies with time entry mistakes.

• matindustriesllc-lalba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to be able to manually "ping" individual devices if they have not reported location in a while, to verify that they are still at the last displayed location.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to add that it should use approximate location when GPS is unavailable; ie: cell towers and wifi. Currently, if the GPS fails within 2 minutes of trying, it just cancels the location pull.

I am a firm advocate of increasing the ping frequency as we often miss out by minutes on contacting our staff to go and be somewhere else. Sometimes our pings are 30 mins apart and this can mean the other side of town!

Feedback and Knowledge Base